LaGuardia Hall

LaGuardia Hall

Across the Campus.

A view across the original campus from the gates on Bedford Avenue. The exterior of LaGuardia Hall is much the same; some of the trees are larger.
No sooner had all the new buildings been occupied, when it was realized that even more space was needed. In fact, Brooklyn College has never had enough space to meet all its wide variety of needs. As part of his program to expand the faculty and course offerings at Brooklyn College, President Gideonse was always on the lookout for new and promising scholars and researchers. Seymour Fogel is a case in point.
The Biology Department needed good scientists, and in 1948 Earl Martin, the Chairman of the Biology Department, wanted Seymour Fogel. But there was a space problem. Fogel's field of research unfortunately needed fields: real fields in which he could grow corn. Not for the pot, this corn was research material for the study of genetic patterns of inheritance. Martin solved this problem by taking over a small plot of land at the corner of South Campus Road and Nostrand Avenue and offering it to the eager Fogel. Years later Fogel praised Martin and Gideonse for their vision and support.
Unfortunately, the view of LaGuardia Hall from Bedford Avenue is no longer possible. Familiar to Fogel and the thousands of students who came to Brooklyn College in those years, the view vanished in the 1970's new building boom. The stairs descending from the Plaza Building overpass now mask it.


SCIENCE CENTER YESTERDAY

Science at a Distance
© 1997, Professor John Blamire