Public Safety Department
Personal Safety and Crime Prevention Tips
TIPS THAT CAN HELP YOU AVOID
BECOMING A VICTIM OF A CRIME
By taking a few simple precautions, you can reduce the risk to yourself, and also discourage those who commit crime.
On Public Streets
· Always be alert to your surroundings and aware of the people around you – especially if you’re alone or it’s dark.
· Be aware of locations and situations which would make you vulnerable to crime.
· Stay in well-lit areas as much as possible.
· Walk confidently at a steady pace on the side of the street facing traffic.
· Walk close to the curb. Avoid doorways, bushes, and alleys where someone could hide.
· Don’t be afraid to make eye contact with people when walking.
· Do not respond if a stranger speaks to you on the street, continue walking.
Vehicles and Parking
· Always lock your vehicle doors after entering or leaving the vehicle.
· Have your keys in your hand when approaching your car (or home). You’ll get inside much quicker and will avoid placing yourself in a vulnerable position.
· Park your vehicle in well-lit, designated parking areas only.
· If someone is loitering near your unoccupied vehicle as you approach it, keep walking or go to a safe place until the person leaves.
· Do not keep valuables in your car. If you must, place them in the trunk where they will be out of sight or take them with you for safeguarding.
· Be observant. Stay aware of your environment and familiarize yourself with campus buildings and locations of Public Safety Officer posts.
· Never leave your property unattended – theft is always possible.
· If you need to step out for a break or to get a snack, leave your property with someone you trust or take it with you.
· After dark, walk in well-lit areas of campus and the surrounding area. Remain on well traveled walkways and walk in groups, if possible – there is safety in numbers.
· Call Public Safety at 951-5511 to request a security escort to campus parking lots and nearby bus and subway stations. Requests should be made 15-20 minutes before needed.
If you see any suspicious activity on or near the campus, report it to the Brooklyn College Office of Public Safety at 951-5445/5445 –
If you see something…say something.
Copyright © 1998-2007. Brooklyn College. All Rights Reserved