English composition requirement
(from page 40 - 2007-2010 U/G Bulletin)
- All entering students who have scored at least 480 on the verbal SAT, 20 on the English section of the ACT, or 75 on the New York State Regents Examination in English, or who have scored 7 on the CUNY ACT Writing Examination and passed the University Skills Assessment Test in reading will be placed in English 1.
- Students in English 1 take an exit test at the end of the semester (during the final examination period). This test is prepared by the Department of English and graded by the instructor. Students who fail this test will receive a grade of NC or F in English 1. The grade in English 1 for students who pass this test will be based solely upon the quality of their work during the semester and may be A+ through C-, NC, or F.
- Students who do not pass English 1 must repeat it the following semester. However, the course may not be taken more than three times, and students who receive three grades of F, NC,WF, and/or WU will be dismissed from the College.
- Students who receive an A+, A, or A- in English 1 are eligible for exemption from English 2 based on an evaluation of their performance on the English 1 exit test by an exemptions committee. Such exemption will be noted on students’ transcripts.
- Students who pass English 1 and who are not exempted from English 2 must take English 2 within two semesters of successful completion of English 1.
- Students who complete English 2 will receive a grade of A+ through C-, NC, or F. Students who do not pass English 2 must repeat it the following semester. The course may not be taken more than two times, however, and students who receive two grades of F, NC,WF, and/or WU will be dismissed from the College.
- ESL students. Students in the ESL Program move from ESL 14 or 14.1 through 15, 15.1, or 17.1 on the basis of their score on the Brooklyn College Post-Test for Second-Language Learners. Students in ESL 14 and 14.1 take the post-test at the end of the semester. Students in ESL 0.3, 0.4, 15, 15.1, or 17.1 take the University Reading and Writing Assessment Tests as exit tests. Students who pass the tests with a minimum score of 7 on the University Writing Assessment Test and a minimum score of 70 on the University Reading Assessment Test are placed in English 1.