Managing Your Financial Aid in CUNYfirst
Brooklyn College has one of the most affordable tuition rates in the nation. And now, with CUNYfirst, you have more control than ever when managing your tuition payments and your financial aid.
But hurry! You must file before Aug. 4 to meet the Office of Financial Aid's priority deadline.
If you have not already done so, be sure to sign up for your CUNYfirst account. Your Guide to Managing Your Financial Aid (pdf) will provide detailed instruction on how you can:
- sign up for your CUNYfirst account,
- view your financial aid to-do list,
- view your financial aid awards,
- accept or decline your Federal Work-Study and/or Federal Perkins Loan,
- view pending aid and past payments, and
- enroll in direct deposit (recommended).
The Direct Loan Handout (pdf) will show you how to apply for a Federal Direct Loan and provide steps on how you can:
- log onto your CUNYfirst account,
- navigate to the Direct Loan processing form link,
- fill out a Direct Loan processing form correctly,
- enroll in direct deposit on CUNYfirst (recommended),
- view all of your financial aid awards as well as the cost of tuition, and
- determine your Direct Loan eligibility and view loan limitations.
You should always apply for financial aid as early in the year as possible. If you miss the current financial aid priority deadline, you are still encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine if you are financial-aid eligible. However, if you file after the deadline and are deemed eligible, there is still no guarantee that the funds will be available in your account by the time your bill is due, which may result in you paying out of pocket for some or all of your courses.
IMPORTANT: Due to new rules governing the allocation of funding, any fall 2014 courses added after Sept. 3 may not be eligible for financial aid.