Unused Pell Award (Summer 2014)

Who Qualifies?

Front-End Pell

Any first-degree matriculated undergraduate student who was enrolled for less than 12 credits for fall 2013 and/or spring 2014, and who applied for aid via the 2013–14 FAFSA application and was awarded a Pell grant and is not pending verification.

Back-End Pell

Any first-degree matriculated undergraduate student who will graduate on or before the fall 2014 semester and has submitted a summer 2014 Front-End Pell request form, and who has applied for aid via the 2014–15 FAFSA application and was awarded a Pell grant and is not pending verification.

Who Does Not Qualify?

Any student who graduated or will graduate after successful completion of the spring 2014 semester, as Pell is not available to second-degree students.

Any student who fails to meet Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) by the end of the spring 2014 semester.

What Does Pell Lifetime Eligibility Usage (LEU) Mean?

Lifetime Pell Grant eligibility changes: The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2012 (Public Law 112-74) reduced the maximum time frame during which a student is eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant to a maximum of 12 full semesters (or its part-time equivalent) effective with the 2013–14 award year. Therefore, a student's Pell Grant lifetime eligibility usage may not exceed 600 percent.

Each full time Pell award (12+ credits) paid is calculated as 50%, three-quarter time (9-11.9 credits) as 37.5%, half time (6 - 8.9 credits) as 25%, and less-than half time (.01 - 5.9 credits) as 12.5%.

Why Has My Award Reduced?

Late-term summer 2013, fall 2013 or spring 2014 disbursements of Pell can affect the amount of unused aid you have remaining, effectively reducing or eliminating your unused Pell award amount. Contact our office if this applies to you for updated information.

Or you have enrolled for less credits than is required to earn the maximum unused Pell award remaining. Please consult our Pell award chart for additional information. 

Can I Get a Refund?

Unfortunately, this unused award is not a refund owed to you. It must be earned by enrolling in and attending summer courses as a qualified student. 

Can I Transfer My Unused Pell Award to a Future Semester?

This award is not transferable to future semesters (e.g., fall 2014); you must complete the 2014–15 FAFSA application to receive aid for semesters beyond the summer.


For additional information about financial aid, visit the Enrollment Services Center in the lobby of the West Quad Center, call 718.951.5051, or e-mail us.