Graduate Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid offers federal financial aid designed to assist graduate students in financing their college education. Most graduate students fund their education at Brooklyn College through a Ford Federal Direct Loan. You may download a direct loan application form. Graduate programs can sometimes provide full or partial tuition waivers for students with outstanding academic credentials.

Federal financial aid is divided into three basic categories: federal work-study and loans, which can be used individually or in combination to help finance your Brooklyn College education. Work-study assistance will allow you to earn money to help pay for part of your educational expenses by working part-time on campus and off campus. Federal student loans require that you first participate in entrance and exit interviews with the college's Office of Financial Aid, and agree to repay the principal and interest on such loans upon completion of your studies. You should also be aware that federal financial aid programs change frequently, so the types and amounts of awards may vary annually, based on available funds and changes in the status of your financial need.

  • Title IV or Federal Code Number: 002687        

Financial Aid Loans

Unlike grants or work-study, loans are a form of financial aid that you must pay back at interest rates that are typically lower than consumer rates, usually not until after your studies have been completed. The size of the loan you seek and commit to should be determined only after all available gift-aid has been applied for. You should also determine whether the loan you choose has an interest-free grace period before repayment begins and if all or some of the loan may be deferred or repaid after graduation.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service and work related to the recipient's course of study.