Undergraduate Financial Aid

Your first, vital step in applying for your financial aid package is to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form and a state financial aid application, both of which are available from the Office of Financial Aid. To receive optimum service, it is highly recommended that you complete FAFSA application online.

Federal financial aid is divided into three basic categories: grants, federal work study and loans, which can be used individually or in combination to help finance your Brooklyn College education. Grants are outright financial awards that you are not required to repay. Work-study assistance will allow you to earn money to help pay for part of your educational expenses by working part-time on and off campus. Federal student loans require that you first participate in entrance and exit interviews with the Office of Financial Aid, and agree to repay the principal and interest on such loans upon completion of your studies. You should also be aware that federal and state financial aid programs change frequently, so the types and amounts of awards may vary annually, based on available funds and changes in the status of your financial need. 

Important Brooklyn College code numbers you will need:

  • Title IV or Federal Code Number: 002687
  • TAP Code for Undergraduate Students: 1410

Financial Aid Grants

The various student financial aid grants available to you, and which do not require repayment, are listed below. To be considered for federal financial aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen admitted as at least a half-time student to a degree program and must maintain satisfactory academic progress to preserve your continuing aid eligibility. (Students not yet admitted into a degree program do not qualify for federal or state aid.)

Financial Aid Loans

Unlike grants or work-study, loans are a form of financial aid that you must pay back at interest rates that are typically lower than consumer rates, usually not until after your studies have been completed. The size of the loan you seek and commit to should be determined only after all available gift-aid has been applied for. You should also determine whether the loan you choose has an interest-free grace period before repayment begins and if all or some of the loan may be deferred or repaid after graduation.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service and work related to the recipient's course of study.