Student Emergency Grant
Emergency Grants are no longer available for Spring 2014 semester.
The Brooklyn College Carroll and Milton Petrie Student Emergency Grant Fund
The Carroll and Milton Petrie Student Emergency Grant Fund has been created for the purpose of providing quick response emergency grants to students in good standing with short-term financial emergencies, to enable them to remain in school, rather than being forced to take a leave of absence or drop out. View guidelines below.
Petrie Fund Guidelines
The Carroll and Milton Petrie Student Emergency Grant Fund was created to provide eligible students facing short-term, non-recurring emergencies with a one-time grant to alleviate the situation. To insure that the greatest number of students in need get assistance, recipients will receive only one grant during their tenure at Brooklyn College.
The program seeks to assist students so they can continue and complete their education at the College. Precedence will be given to first-time degree-seeking students. The maximum award is $1,500 and all grant requests will require documentation. You will meet with the emergency resource assistant to discuss the appropriate documentation for your situation.
Eligibility Requirements for the Petrie Emergency Grant:
Students who can demonstrate need and are facing a current unexpected emergency may apply for this grant. The applicant must:
- have a good record of conduct
- have paid tuition to Brooklyn College
- be matriculated with a GPA minimum of 2.0 for undergraduates or 3.0 for graduate students
Petrie Grant Award Guidelines
Examples of emergencies to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- Travel home for serious illness or death in the immediate family (e.g., parents and siblings)
- Homelessness due to loss of housing
- Imminent documented eviction
- Documented theft of books and other essential academic belongings
- Required uninsured medical treatment and/or follow-up
- An unanticipated loss resulting in a lack of funds to get to and from school
- Sudden loss of childcare to cover academic schedule
- Prescription eyeglasses or essential dental work
Note: Petrie grants will not be given for tuition cost, college debts or legal representation.
The application is available for pick up from Enrollment Management, 303 West Quad and by clicking the link below. Return the completed application to 303 West Quad.