Waste Management and Recycling
Sustainability in waste management and recycling focuses on:
- food composting;
- recycling bottles, cans, cardboard and other materials in the cafeteria and across campus;
- recycling paper, batteries and printer cartridges in offices;
- composting of landscaping waste into mulch for use on campus; and
- minimizing waste and post-consumer purchasing.
Waste-management and recycling initiatives will reduce the amount of landfill and incinerator waste produced by CUNY as well as lead to a change in culture and behavior among students, staff and faculty in the way they discard materials both on and off campus.
Brooklyn College is addressing these issues by:
- increasing paper and cardboard recycling by placing bins in offices and hallways;
- increasing glass and plastic bottle and metal recycling by the entire campus community in partnership with New York City Department of Sanitation and Metropolitan Food Service; and
- raising campus awareness around these initiatives by encouraging people to dispose of waste properly.