I want to review my general Core/Pathways and academic foundation requirements. Can an adviser assist me with this?

Yes, we certainly can! Schedule an appointment or stop into the office on an express session day; we will be happy to advise you.

Where do I go for advisement for my major?

Each academic department has faculty advisers who will advise you regarding requirements for your major. Please see your respective department to learn about faculty adviser locations and office hours.

How do I withdraw from a course?

All students are encouraged to discuss withdrawing with their instructor, a CAASS academic adviser and a financial aid representative prior to processing their withdrawal. Withdrawals can be processed online via CUNYfirst.

The following students must see an adviser before the published deadline each semester in order to get permission from an advisor to withdraw from a course:

  • First- and second-semester freshmen
  • ESL
  • SEEK
  • Honors Academy

How do I resolve an INC grade?

First, you must be aware of the deadline to clear this grade, which is published on the college calendar.

Then you must contact your professor and determine what work you need to complete for a grade to be awarded.

Once you complete all necessary work, the professor will award you a grade and the department will enter your grade online. Please see your department if you have any questions.

How do I use a retroactive Core Pass/Fail?

You can apply for a Core P/F via the WebCentral Portal or in person at the Enrollment Services Center. Applying a retroactive Core P/F can affect your GPA in a positive or negative way. We suggest that you meet with an academic adviser prior utilizing the retroactive Core P/F option.

What is an F-replacement? How do I use it?

If you failed a course at Brooklyn College and then repeat the same course at Brooklyn College and receive a grade of C- or better, you may elect to use F-replacement credit. The original F grade will remain on your transcript.  You can use up to 16 credits of F-replacement during your whole CUNY career.

How do I file for an E-permit?

Visit the Brooklyn College WebCentral Portal. Go to "eServices" and select "Transfer Services."

I would like to take more credits than I am allowed. How do I request permission to take additional credits?

Meet with a CAASS adviser to set up a Committee on Course and Standing Appeal request for additional credits.

How do I declare my major?

Some departments allow students to declare their major via the WebCentral Portal. If your major is not listed there, please visit the department and make an appointment to declare your major with a faculty adviser.

How do I apply for a TAP waiver?

If you receive a letter informing you that you are ineligible for TAP in any given semester, schedule an appointment to see an adviser. The adviser will explain why you lost your TAP and inform you if you qualify to apply for a TAP waiver. Students must make an appointment for TAP questions.

Why can't I receive academic advisement via telephone?

For the protection of your privacy and to remain in compliance with FERPA, all advisement sessions are held in person.

What can I do if the office is closed and I need to contact an adviser?

You can always send us an e-mail.