Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
As an employee of the City University of New York, you are eligible for consideration for leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). The information below will assist you in understanding the university regulations for requesting, receiving and returning from an FMLA leave.
Prior to the enactment of the Family Medical Leave Act, CUNY employees already had provisions in their collective bargaining agreements that covered several of the leave categories within the FMLA law, such as temporary disability and child care. When approved leaves are granted employees in accordance with university regulations, and are also permissible under FMLA, they shall be concurrently counted toward the annual maximum of 12 weeks of FMLA leave permitted within a 12-month period. For purposes of tracking FMLA usage, the 12-month period begins on the first day of approved FMLA leave.
An employees is eligible for FMLA leave if he or she has worked continuously at any CUNY college for at least 12 months and for at least 1,250 hours during the year preceding the leave.
The United States Department of Labor has determined that all full-time salaried employees, such as full-time faculty in institutions of higher education, who have worked for the employer for at least 12 months are presumed to have met the 1,250 hours of service requirement for FMLA eligibility.
Employees of the CUNY Research Foundation or any other separately incorporated employer affiliated with CUNY or a CUNY college are not CUNY employees and are not covered by these guidelines.
Please read the policy and procedures below for more information on eligibility, qualifying events, permissable reasons to take FLMA leave and employee notification responsibilities.
- FMLA Leave Policy
- Family and Medical Leave Administrative Procedures
- Family and Medical Leave Request Form (pdf)
- Notice of FMLA Eligibility, Rights and Responsibilities (doc)
- FMLA Designation Notice (doc)
- FMLA Certification of Health Care Provider for CUNY Employees (pdf)
- FMLA Certification of Health Care Provider for Family Members (pdf)
- FMLA Certification of Health Care Provider for Covered Military Service Members (pdf)
- FMLA Response Form (pdf)
- Certification of Qualifying Exigency for Military Family Leave (doc)
For Instructional Staff
1231 Boylan Hall
For Civil Service Staff
1219 Boylan Hall