Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
As an employee of the City University of New York, you are eligible for consideration for leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). The information below will assist you in understanding the university regulations for requesting, receiving and returning from an FMLA leave.
Prior to the enactment of the Family Medical Leave Act, CUNY employees already had provisions in their collective bargaining agreements that covered several of the leave categories within the FMLA law, such as temporary disability and child care. When approved leaves are granted employees in accordance with university regulations, and are also permissible under FMLA, they shall be concurrently counted toward the annual maximum of 12 weeks of FMLA leave permitted within a 12-month period. For purposes of tracking FMLA usage, the 12-month period begins on the first day of approved FMLA leave.
An employees is eligible for FMLA leave if he or she has worked continuously at any CUNY college for at least 12 months and for at least 1,250 hours during the year preceding the leave.
The United States Department of Labor has determined that all full-time salaried employees, such as full-time faculty in institutions of higher education, who have worked for the employer for at least 12 months are presumed to have met the 1,250 hours of service requirement for FMLA eligibility.
Employees of the CUNY Research Foundation or any other separately incorporated employer affiliated with CUNY or a CUNY college are not CUNY employees and are not covered by these guidelines.
Please read the policy and procedures below for more information on eligibility, qualifying events, permissable reasons to take FLMA leave and employee notification responsibilities.
Policy and Procedures
- FMLA Policy (pdf)
- Family and Medical Leave Administrative Procedures
- Notice of FMLA Eligibility, Rights and Responsibilities (doc)
- FMLA Brooklyn College HRS Presentation (pdf)
- FMLA Designation Notice (doc)
- FMLA Request Form (pdf)
- FMLA Response Form (pdf)
- Fitness for Duty Certification (pdf)
- Certification of Family Relationship (pdf)
- Certification of Health Care Provider (HCP) for Employee's Serious Health Condition (pdf)
- Certification of Health Care Provider (HCP) for Family Member's Serious Health Condition (pdf)
- Certification for Serious Injury or Illness of a Current Service Member - Military Family Leave (pdf)
- Certification for Serious Injury or Illness of a Veteran - Military Caregiver Leave (pdf)
- Certification of Qualifying Exigency for Military Family Leave (pdf)
Non-FMLA Medical Leave Forms
For Instructional Staff
1231 Boylan Hall
For Civil Service Staff
1219 Boylan Hall