Health Programs / Immunization Requirements Office
The Health Programs / Immunization Requirements Office ensures that students are in compliance with immunization regulation as stipulated in public health laws and will provide advocacy, education, communications, materials, workshops and related culturally competent practices to enhance and advance the health and wellness of students.
The office is responsible for immunization processing, health fairs, seminars, blood drives and inviting public health insurance providers to the campus.
Immunization Requirements for New Students
In order to register for classes, all newly enrolled students born on or after Jan. 1, 1957 must submit documentation proving immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella (German measles) with a Student Immunization Form (pdf) as well as a completed and signed Meningococcal Meningitis Response Form (pdf) to the Health Programs / Immunization Requirements Office, 0710 James Hall, 718.951.4505. You may fax a completed form to 718.951.4278, or scan and e-mail the form, or bring the form in person to 0710 James Hall.
New York State Public Health Law 2165 requires all students to submit documentation proving immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.
The Immunization requirements are as follows:
- Proof of two doses of live measles virus vaccine given after 1968. The first dose should be administered on or after your first birthday and the second dose must be administered at least 28 days after the first dose. A blood test showing immunity to measles will also satisfy this requirement.
- One dose of live mumps vaccine administered on or after your first birthday, or a blood test showing immunity.
- One dose of live rubella vaccine administered on or after your first birthday or a blood test showing immunity.
Acceptable Proof of Immunization:
- vaccination card from childhood (i.e. yellow book signed and stamped):
- immunization records from your doctor's office (signed and stamped with your doctor's license number by your doctor or clinic);
- high school or prior college's immunization records;
- blood test (original lab report is required) proving immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR titer);
- certificate of immunization from INS or country of origin (for international students)*; or
- honorable discharge papers from military service, within 10 years of discharge*.
*typically these sources demonstrate only ONE dose of measles vaccine, so you might be required to provide additional materials documenting a second dose of measles vaccine.
New York State Public Health Law 2167 requires all postsecondary institutions to provide information on meningitis and the meningitis vaccine to all students registering for six credits or more (or its equivalent) and requires all students (regardless of age) to submit a Meningococcal Meningitis Vaccination Response Form signed by the student or student's parent or guardian to the Health Programs / Immunization Requirements Office. The form acknowledges the receipt of mandatory meningococcal disease and vaccination information. Vaccination is not required.
These laws apply to students taking six credits or more regardless if the student is in a degree seeking program or not.
University Immunization Requirements for Incoming Students
Affordable Care Act
The Affordable Care Act is a Federal Law that requires everyone to have health insurance starting Jan. 1, 2014. Open enrollment ends March 31, 2014. You can look for health insurance in the New York State-run New York State of Health, the official health plan marketplace. For more information, e-mail New York State of Health.
Events and Activities
The Health Programs / Immunization Requirements Office is responsible for fostering opportunities to educate students about important health-related issues. The office is very pleased to collaborate with student organizations such as the Health Awareness Club and the Minority Association of Pre-health Students.
Learn more about the events hosted by the Health Programs Office during the Spring 2014 Semester.
- AIDS Workshop/Quilt Display Photos 2012 (flickr)
- Breast Cancer Awareness Brochure (pdf)
- Breast Cancer Walk 2013 Photos (flickr)
- Breast Cancer Walk 2012 Photos (flickr)
- Breast Cancer Walk 2011 Photos (flickr)
- BC Wellness Report 2013 (pdf)
- De-Stress 101 Report (pdf)
- Fight For the Cure 2013 (pdf)
- Health Fair Photos 2013 (flickr)
- HIV/AIDS Awareness Brochure (pdf)