Students Building Unity Retreat
The Brooklyn College "Students Building Unity" Retreat is a two-and-a-half-day program enabling students from various backgrounds to engage in experiential learning in a unique and diverse setting.
As part of the Unity Retreat goals, students will:
- explore their strengths and opportunities for growth and development in order to create a personal vision for success,
- learn about group dynamics,
- utilize the skills learned to enhance campus life,
- participate in diversity activities, and
- develop a common collaborative vision.
Benefits of Attending the Retreat
- Receive targeted scholarship information.
- Gain priority access to volunteer opportunities.
- Connect to a network of engaged students.
- Develop transferable skills.
- Second-semester first-year students, sophomores, juniors, and seniors with 15 credits or more; graduate students with nine credits or more.
- GPA of 2.50 or higher for undergraduate students in good standing; GPA of 3.00 or higher for graduate students.
- Available during the spring semester to plan and participate in activities for the Unity Week Program.
- Demonstrated school spirit and interest in leadership, community building, and intergroup collaboration preferred.
How to Apply
- Complete and submit the application form (pdf).
- Attach a current résumé.
- Attach a personal statement addressing the following: Describe how participating in this Unity Retreat will benefit you and how you will utilize the knowledge and skills gained to enhance student life on campus.
- Applications are also available in 2153 Boylan Hall. For more information, contact Renee Straker.
Qualified students will be scheduled for a brief interview with a member of the selection committee. The selection committee consists of current students, staff, and Brooklyn College alumni. Selected students will be notified before the end of the fall 2015 semester.
Included in the Retreat
- Transportation (to and from Brooklyn College)
- Seven meals, beverages and snacks during the day and evening
- Accommodations for two nights
- Social activities
Accommodations can be made for individuals with special or dietary needs.
- Date: Tuesday, January 12 – Thursday, January 14, 2016