Wellness Improvements through Student Education (W.I.S.E.)
Excel Academically by Improving Your Overall Wellness
The Brooklyn College Wellness Improvements through Student Education (W.I.S.E.) Program is a wellness and support program open to all Brooklyn College students. W.I.S.E. seeks to help students make informed decisions and improve overall wellness in order to achieve academic success. It believes that wellness is a "multidimensional state of being, describing the existence of positive health in an individual as exemplified by quality of life and a sense of wellbeing" (Corbin, C.B. and Pangrazi, R.P. (2001).
By participating in the program, students will actively learn about six dimensions of wellness — social, physical, emotional, spiritual, occupational and intellectual. W.I.S.E. workshops are designed to focus on one dimension of wellness at a time. Due to high demand, there are recurring Spiritual Wellness sessions throughout each semester in which basic yoga and meditation is led by a staff member. For information about the next upcoming event, "like" the W.I.S.E. Program's Facebook page.
Take advantage of the many benefits this program offers:
- First-year students can take advantage of personal one-on-ones with experienced students who can offer help/advice about study habits, peer pressure, college-life, decision-making, etc.
- Priority notification of opportunities such as on- and off-campus events, unique scholarships, leadership development and travel opportunities.
- Develop your professional network through W.I.S.E.–sponsored events and make new friends.
- Get to know the W.I.S.E. program coordinator and other Student Affairs administrators to obtain letters of recommendation, add references to your résumé, and open other doors of opportunity.
- Take advantage of incentives and raffles.
- Some W.I.S.E. workshops can be added to your Co-curricular Transcript.
For more information, feel free to e-mail Michelle Vargas, W.I.S.E. program coordinator, or call her at 718.951.5352.