Children First Club
Who We Are
The Children First Club (CFC) serves children and youth by generating awareness through research, volunteer work, seminars and internships. The CFC provides a forum for discussion on important past, present and future issues concerning children and youth, and allows Children and Youth Studies students access to the Children’s Studies Center, a resource which contains a collection of useful print and electronic research materials.
Get Involved! Join the Children First Club
Interested in advocating for the rights of children and youth? We’ve got just the platform for you! The Children First Club, established by dedicated students and the Children's Studies Center at Brooklyn College, is currently searching for new members to join the Club! To get more information e-mail Board Members at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The underlying purpose of the CFC is to convey ideas into action and build a positive outlook for the future of our youth. Creativity, research, and passionate members drives the CFC and its success.
Why Join the CFC
Besides being able to add this invaluable experience to your resume, the CFC provides students with the personal fulfillment and pride that comes along with making a real difference. Members are exposed to potential careers in the area of children and youth, seek counsel from professionals, and gain leadership skills and valuable knowledge towards improving the lives of children and youth.
What We've Been Doing
The Children First Club held elections for Board positions for the Fall 2012 semester in May in the Children and Youth Studies office. The first official meeting for the Fall 2012 semester will be announced soon!
Events the Children First Club have worked on include:
- On April 20, 2012 the Club held a fundraising Fashion Show called Fashion.Addiction.Extravaganza! The Club raised money for NYC homeless youth and disadvantaged girls and women in Africa.
- Throughout the month of December the Children First Club collected toys at Brooklyn College for the Million Fathers Club Annual Christmas Party and Toy GiveAway.
- On December 6, 2011 the Club released the first issue of the Children First Club Newsletter! (pdf)
- On October 24, 2011 the Club held a bake sale at Brooklyn College to raise money for Les Petits Okapis International, an organization that raises money for street children in the Congo.
- On September 27, 2011 the Club participated in the Welcome Back Bash held on the Brooklyn College campus. Loretta Chin wrote an article for the student newspaper, The Excelsior, titled, "Making Children First at the Welcome Back Bash and Club Fair." (pdf)
- On May 19, 2011 the Club held a Dance-A-Thon in the Student Center to raise money for Les Petits Okapis International. Haydee Britton, co-founder of the organization, spoke at the event.
- On May 12, 2011 the Club held a bake sale in front of Whitehead Hall to raise money for Les Petits Okapis International, an organization that raises money for street children in the Congo.
- On December 1, 2010 the Club, alongside the Model UN Club and Student Government, held the "Believe That You Can Help" event in the Penthouse of the Student Center. The event featured Haydee Britton, one of the founders of Les Petits Okapis International, an organization founded in 2001 to help children living on the street in countries where war and poverty have torn communities apart. Ms. Britton also works with the General Assembly Affairs Branch of the Department of General Assembly and Conference Management.