Founded in the 1970s, the Center for Italian American Studies serves as a vast resource for the Brooklyn College community and the greater New York community. The center is under the auspices of the Presidential Advisory Committee on Italian American Affairs, and works in collaboration with the Italian American Studies Program.
- conducts and sponsors research on the Italian American population;
- sponsors symposia and cultural events that focus on the Italian American experience;
- maintains a collection of scholarly books, journals and other materials;
- houses two student clubs — the Italian American Student Union and the Italian Culture Club;
- provides counseling and advisement to students;
- conducts group workshops and seminars;
- promotes the Italian American Studies Program; and
- fosters a positive image of Italian Americans.