Join the Career Advisor Network (CAN)
What are the steps to becoming a mentor?
- Register for the Brooklyn College Online Community (if you are already registered, go to step 3), which allows you to reconnect and network with fellow alumni.
- You will need your ID number to complete the first step. If you do not know it, e-mail us to request one. Here is a sample e-mail format you can use:
Subject: Online Community ID Request
Body of the e-mail: I would like to register in the online community and need my ID number. My full name is... My class year is…
- Once you are registered with the Brooklyn College Online Community, complete your Career Advisor Network (CAN) profile, which takes only a few minutes.
- Fill out all the fields so students can easily find you.
- If possible, refrain from abbreviating under job title and company to ensure that all alumni with common job titles and employers fall under the same category for the student.
- Be as specific as possible when filling out the profile. For example, if you are a teacher, please indicate what subject you teach.
- Students will search the alumni profiles in the CAN and choose to contact the person who is the best match for them. Initial contact is made via e-mail. The student does not see your e-mail address until you respond back.
How else can you help Brooklyn College students?
- Join our Magner Center, Brooklyn College Alumni & Student Professional Networking Group on LinkedIn as another way to connect with students.
- Review our Four Ways You Can Help Our Students, such as funding internship stipends, sharing job opportunities, etc.
No matter your profession or whether you are retired, becoming a alumni career adviser is a great way to stay connected with your alma mater and make a difference in the lives of our students. The larger and more diverse the network's database, the more beneficial it is.
If you have any further questions about the program, please review our Career Advisor Network (CAN) Frequently Asked Questions or contact Natalia Guarin-Klein via e-mail or telephone, 718.951.5696.