Class Schedules, Registration Form and Tuition Information
Catalogs and Schedules
All classes, unless otherwise indicated, are based upon an academic year curriculum of 32 weeks. Students, therefore, are enrolled for the entire school year from September through June. (Please consult the 2016–2017 calendar for exact dates.)
- Students taking private lessons in instruments or voice have 31 lessons plus one jury, which substitutes for one lesson in the spring semester.
- Students enrolled in dance and theater classes do not take juries and therefore receive 32 weeks of classes. Performances and/or rehearsals may substitute for one or two classes during the school year.
- Suzuki string students participate in four performance celebrations and 28 weeks of regular lessons and classes. Suzuki recorder and flute students participate in two performance celebrations and 30 weeks of regular lessons and classes.
- The Prep Center school year runs from September through June. Additional new classes, lessons and entrance into some pre-existing classes are offered in the spring semester, from January through June. Summer session runs for six weeks from July through August.
Students have the opportunity to perform at the Prep Center's traditional weekly recitals throughout the school year. In addition, many of our students perform at community events such as the Prep Center annual Perform-a-thon fundraiser.
- Please indicate requested courses on the Preparatory Center registration form and return it to the Preparatory Center with your payment. You may register in person, by phone or fax, or through the mail. Every effort is made to accommodate preferences, but we cannot guarantee that your specific request will be met. If we are not able to grant your request, we will inform you of your options.
Registration for New Students
- Families wishing to enroll their children in group classes may register by phone or fax, or through the mail. No consultation is required. Please indicate your preferred schedule and/or section. We will make every effort to accommodate your preferences.
- Families wishing to enroll their children in private instrument or voice lessons must contact the director of the Preparatory Center by phone to discuss individual needs in order to make the best placement for the student.
- Families wishing an initial consultation to discuss their child's course of study may call us at 718.951.4111.
Registration for Returning Students
- Returning students may register at any time prior to the start of the new school year. Those students who register before July 31 will receive priority in the scheduling process and will not be charged a registration fee. Students with outstanding tuition balance will not be permitted to register until the balance is settled.
Late Registration for Classes and Private Lessons
- Registration for classes after the start of the school year may be possible, subject to the approval of the director. Registration for private lessons is possible throughout the school year, subject to faculty availability.
Payment of all fees and tuition may be made in the full at the beginning of the school year or in six monthly installments. The $45 annual registration fee is nonrefundable. The registration fee is $25 for the Summer semester and for the Spring semester. The registration fee is waived for Brooklyn College faculty, staff, alumni and students. No deductions are made for absences or late entrance to classes. You may pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover), check or money order. Checks and money orders must be payable to "BC Member Org."
Payment in Full Discount
The Preparatory Center offers discounts for payment made in full at the time of registration on or before September 19, 2016. Please note that this discount is calculated based on the adjusted tuition, after other discounts and scholarship awards have been applied. The $45 registration fee is not included in the calculation of discounts.
- · A $50 discount is applied to a total tuition bill between $500 and $999.
- · A $100 discount is applied to a total tuition bill between $1,000 and $3,499.
- · A $150 discount is applied to a total tuition bill of $3,500 or more.
The Preparatory Center offers discounts for students registering for multiple lessons and classes and discounts for siblings. A family is eligible for more than one discount, but only eligible for one Payment in Full Discount, regardless of the number of children enrolled.
Please contact the Prep Center office for further information.
- A one-time non-refundable fee paid upon registration.
- Prep Center waives the registration fee for Brooklyn College faculty, staff, alumni and students. A supporting document (valid I.D. card, alumni card, or a copy of diploma) is required.
- The registration fee is not applicable in the calculation of discounts.
Please note the following:
- There are no discounts offered for the spring and summer semesters, with the exception of the registration fee.
- The Prep Center does not pro-rate for any late entrances into group classes or the Suzuki programs.
- No deductions are made for absences or late entrance to classes.
Scholarship and Financial Aid
The Preparatory Center's Financial Aid Program awards partial tuition assistance to returning students taking private lessons in instruments or voice. Assistance is based upon financial need and the financial aid application must be accompanied by the most recent IRS filings.
Merit scholarships are awarded to students taking individual instruction in an instrument or voice who show a strong commitment to their studies, exceptional progress or achievement.
Suzuki students who are in String Beans this year may apply for merit-based scholarships. Suzuki students who will enter at a minimum their third year of Suzuki study in 2016–2017 may apply for scholarship consideration based upon financial need.
Evaluation for merit scholarships and financial aid occurs at the end of each school year for the following season. Families receive notification of their award by July 31 for the following school year.
All scholarship and financial aid recipients are expected to maintain excellent attendance and participate in the Prep Center Perform-a-thon fundraiser as well as Prep Center ensembles, classes and weekly recitals.