Awards Ceremony and Reception
Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Penthouse, 3:45 p.m.
- Awards Ceremony Program (PDF)
Award for Excellence in Teaching for a Part-Time Faculty Member
Diana Horowitz, Art
presented by Rona Miles, Psychology
- The award, in the amount of $5,000, will be presented annually to a part-time (adjunct) faculty member for his or her demonstrated excellence in teaching and recognizes the important contributions made by adjunct faculty to teaching and learning at Brooklyn College.
Award for Excellence in Teaching for a Full-Time Faculty Member
Sharon Beaumont-Bowman, Speech Communication Arts and Sciences
presented by Steven Remy, History
- The award in the amount of $5,000 will be presented annually to a full-time faculty member for his or her demonstrated excellence in teaching at Brooklyn College.
Award for Excellence in Creative Achievement
Sarah Christman, Film
presented by Paula Massood, Film
- The award in the amount of $5,000 will be presented annually to a full-time faculty member of Brooklyn College for creative work in his or her artistic or scholarly field.
Eric M. Steinberg Award for College Citizenship
Wayne Reed, Childhood, Bilingual and Special Education
presented by Bruce MacIntyre, Conservatory of Music
- The award in the amount of $5,000 will be presented annually to a full-time faculty member for meritorious service chiefly to Brooklyn College, but also for fulfillment of the college's mission in its relationships with communities in the Greater New York area and beyond.
The Claire Tow Distinguished Teacher Award
Peter Taubman, Secondary Education
presented by Laura Rabin, Psychology
- The Claire Tow Distinguished Teacher Award was established through a generous gift from Leonard Tow, a member of the Class of 1950 and a trustee of the Brooklyn College Foundation, in honor of his wife, Claire Tow, a member of the Class of 1952. The award recognizes a senior member of the faculty for outstanding qualities as a teacher and for being a role model to students and other faculty. It carries a stipend of $10,000, to be paid in one installment through the Brooklyn College Foundation.
Reception and Pete Seeger Sing-along with the Faculty Day Chorus
Penthouse, Approximately 4:30 to 6 p.m. (following Awards Ceremony)
- Len Fox, English (Chorus Leader)
- Wendy Fairey, English
- Charlene Forest, Biology
- Victor Franco, Physics
- Gary Giardina, Health Clinic
- Erma Globerman, Psychology
- Michael Golan, Facilities
- Michael Hipscher, Kinesiology
- Willie Hopkins, School of Business
- Nicholas Irons, Library
- Charlene Kohler-Britton, Early Childhood Center
- Hong-Jen Lin, Finance and Business Management
- Katherine Lu Hsu, Classics
- John Marra, Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Slobodan Mitrovic, Anthropology and Archaeology
- Gene Reiser, Brooklyn Lifelong Learning
- Barbara Rosenfeld, Childhood, Bilingual and Special Education
- Jaime Weiss, Macaulay Honors College
- Judith Wild, Library
- Satina Williams, Accounting