Important New Testing Requirements and Deadlines
If you are applying for your first initial New York State certification:
You have a choice of which certification tests to take for first initial New York State Teacher certification based on the date you will complete all requirements. Please carefully consider if you will take and complete all current requirements or will be required to take the new required tests.
- Refer to the details
- Register for tests
- Information on fees
- Click here for information on the new tests including webinars, practice tests and preparation guides
- Information on vouchers is available for some of the tests. Check at the following links:
If you graduated before April 30, 2014, and are applying for your first initial New York State certification, you must complete the following before April 30, 2014:
- Passing grade posted for all current certification tests:
- The Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST) Registration for computer-based tests.
- The Assessment of Teaching Skills-Written (ATS-W) Registration for computer-based tests.
- The available Content Specialty Test(s) (CST) for your subject(s). The CST is not required for speech-language pathology. Candidates who don't take and pass the current CST for their field before the new test is implemented will be required to take and pass the new test. Refer to the test schedule. Register for the available test.
- Graduation requirements completed on time on or before fall 2013 graduation and confirmed by the registrar and Faculty Council, which ensures your recommendation for certification to be entered by the certification officer. The fall 2013 term official graduation date must be listed as Feb. 1, 2014, and should be verified by mid–March 2014. The due date to apply for graduation was Oct. 15, 2013, at the Enrollment Services Center.
- Completion of the mandated workshops.
- New York State Education Department TEACH application completed, including fingerprint clearance. Refer to the details on how to complete your application on the opening page of the Educator Certification site.
Register for the earliest available teacher certification tests at New York State Teacher Certification Examinations.
Several tests are only available at computer-based centers now. Refer to New York State Teacher Certification Examinations.
If you cannot complete all of these steps on or before April 30, 2014, you will have to take the new tests for certification.
If you are graduating in the spring term 2014 (June 1, 2014 official graduation date) or afterward, and are applying for your first initial New York State certification, or if you cannot complete the requirements for your first initial certification on or before the April 30, 2014 deadline:
Starting May 1, 2014 the required tests will be:
- The edTPA Teacher Performance Assessment, which is a portfolio-based assessment that involves submitting video clips of your teaching, lesson plans and other assessment material, which will be completed during student-teaching. The edTPA is not a required assessment for Speech-Language Pathology. Complete instructions will be given during student teaching. All documentation will be provided and processed using your Tk20 account as your Integrated Platform Provider System. Information on the fees is now available. Information on vouchers awarded will be announced when the details are finalized. Click here for information on the correct content area edTPA to complete relative to your certification area and passing ("cut") scores.
- Educating All Students test (EAS) , at computer-based centers. Click here for test preparation materials.
- Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST) . at computer-based centers. Click here for test preparation materials.
- The available CST test(s) for your subject(s). Refer to the information above. Register for the available test. The CST is not required for speech-language pathology.
If you have your first initial certification in effect now:
If you already have your first initial New York State certification and it is in effect (that is, it is valid, not expired, revoked, etc.), you will not need to complete the new certification tests unless you are applying for certification for a different subject. If you are applying for certification in a new subject you will need to complete the CST examination for certification in that content area.
Speech-language pathology only: for professional certification, you must complete the PRAXIS II test.