Graduate Music Applicant Checklist
Thank you for applying to one of Brooklyn College's graduate programs in music. This checklist will help you through some of the finer points of the admissions process, and provide you with contact information for the people best equipped to help should you have any questions. We wish you the best of luck in your application and audition!
Step-by-step Process: Applying to a Graduate Music Program at Brooklyn College
- File an online application through the Brooklyn College Graduate Admissions website. Please pay the application fee immediately — the central Graduate Admissions Office will not send us your file until you do.
- Deadlines: Please follow the link here to Admission Requirements for Brooklyn College Graduate Programs and scroll down to "DEPARTMENT: MUSIC, CONSERVATORY OF" for the applicable admissions deadlines for your specific degree program. (Please note that there is rolling admission for the Music Performance Advanced Certificate and Advanced Diploma.)
- Make sure you are applying for the right program. In order to apply for the M.A. Music Teacher program, you must already be certified to teach in public schools, and provide proof of certification.
- Arrange for your transcripts and two letters of recommendation to be sent directly to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
1602 James Hall
2900 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11210
- If you are applying to the Advanced Certificate Program in Music Education or to the M.A. Music Teacher program, you will need to send a résumé and statement of purpose along with your other application materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions at the above address.
- Applicants for all graduate music programs except composition and musicology must perform an audition in order to be admitted. To schedule an audition, submit an online Graduate Audition Request Form or contact the Music Advisement office via email at MusicAdvisement@brooklyn.cuny.edu or phone, 718-951-5954. Please review the Audition Requirements for your particular instrument.
- Composers applying to the M.Mus. Composition program must submit a portfolio of from three to five pieces showing the range of music created by the composer. Portfolios displaying a variety of types of works are preferred: from solo, to ensemble, to electronic, to works with media. The portfolio must be submitted electronically. Complete instructions may be found here.
- International students and those living more than 500 miles from Brooklyn may submit a CD or DVD audition in lieu of a live audition. Please send those materials directly to the deputy director at the address above, not to Graduate Admissions.
- International students should view special transcript requirements and submit a current TOEFL score.
- If you have any questions during the admissions process, please feel free to call the Graduate Music Studies Office at 718.951.5954, or e-mail Deputy Director of Graduate Music Studies Bruce MacIntyre, Graduate Music Performance Advisor Alexandra Lewis, and Music Education Coordinator Claudia Calì.
- Students seeking financial aid should visit the Brooklyn College Financial Aid website. Please tell the deputy director if you wish to be considered for merit-based Music Department scholarships, and the department will send you a form.