In the News
Brooklyn College Magazine and Website
- Fall 2012 — Professor Gertrud Lenzer Testifies Before U.N. Committee
- Jan. 28, 2011 — Children's Studies Distinguished Speakers Series Gives Students Professional Insight
- Spring 2010 — U.S. State Department Report Highlights "Essential" Role of Brooklyn College Children's Studies Center (pdf)
- Fall 2009 — Children's Studies Program Becomes a Major (pdf)
- Spring 2004 — Children and the Law (pdf)
Brooklyn Daily Eagle
- February 2010 — Brooklyn College Creates Children's Studies Major (pdf)
CHILDNEWS and Child and Youth News
- The American Sociological Association (ASA) Section on the Sociology of Children (pdf) was founded by Professor Gertrud Lenzer in August 1992. Subsequently, she also founded the first official newsletter of the ASA Sociology of Children Section, CHILDNEWS, released in winter 1992. The purpose of the section was "to foster the development and dissemination of sociological perspectives on children in the areas of research, theory, policy, practice and teaching. By children, we mean every human being from infancy to the age of legal maturity."
- Fall 1999
- Spring 1999
- Fall 1998
- Spring 1998
- Fall 1997
- Spring 1997
- Winter 1996
- Fall 1996
- Summer 1996 — The new interdisciplinary program in children's studies is discussed alongside the creation of the Children's Studies Center.
- Fall 1995
- Spring 1995
- Winter 1994 — Features announcements made by Professor Gertrud Lenzer regarding the ASA Sociology of Children Section and other updates, including the establishment of children's studies as an interdisciplinary program at CUNY.
- Spring 1993 — Discusses the multidisciplinary minor program in children's studies at Brooklyn College.
- Winter 1992 — Introduction by Professor Gertrud Lenzer regarding the purpose of the ASA Sociology of Children Section.
- Child and Youth News
- Summer 2011 — The activities of the Children and Youth Studies Program and Children's Studies Center were cited on page 13.
- Fall 2010 — The activities and accomplishments of the Children's Studies Program and Center and Professor Gertrud Lenzer were cited numerous times (pages 1, 5, 6, 10 and 11).
- Summer 2010 — Announces Professor Gertrud Lenzer will preside over "Section on Children and Youth Paper Session. Children in Global Perspective" at the ASA meeting in Atlanta on Aug. 16 (page 3).
- Spring 2010 — Announces new children's studies major at Brooklyn College (page 7).
- Fall 2009 — Photos from the Section on Children and Youth Reception ASA Annual Meeting on Aug. 8, featuring Professor Gertrud Lenzer (page 2).
- Summer 2009 — Profile of Professor Gertrud Lenzer and the Children's Studies Program and Center (pages 2 and 4).
Child Rights Campaigns' Weekly Newsletter
- Tuesday's Talk on Child Rights, August 2010 — The Children's Studies Center was featured in Child Rights Campaigns' weekly newsletter in August as one of the three educational programs that embrace the CRC to strengthen children's rights.
- Tuesday's Talk on Child Rights, May 2010 — The Child Rights Campaigns' weekly newsletter cited the Children's Studies Program and Centers' link on The Human Rights of Children in May.
- Tuesday's Talk on Child Rights, December 2009 — The Fourth Child Policy Forum was cited in the Child Rights Campaigns' weekly Newsletter in December.
The Chronicle of Higher Education
- March 22, 1996 — Article featuring the Children's Studies Program and Professor Gertrud Lenzer (pdf)
The Dallas Morning News
- June 21, 1998 — Lenzer Champions Growing Field of Children's Studies (pdf)
- Oct. 17, 2011 — Professor Proposes New Social Contract
- October 2011 — Making Children First at the Welcome Back Bash and Club Fair
- December 2010 — Saving the Children, One Education at a Time
- May 3, 2010 — Children's Studies Program Scores High State Department Honors
National Child Labor Committee
- Profile of Professor Gertrud Lenzer, recipient of the 1997 Lewis Hines Award (pdf)
The New York Times
- Feb. 14, 1998 — Cites Professor Gertrud Lenzer as founding "a pioneering program in 'children's studies.'"
Salute to Scholars, CUNY
- Winter 2013: "A Transformative Voice for Children's Rights" — Highlights Professor Gertrud Lenzer's passion for children's rights stemming from her research at the University of Leicester in 1967 to present day.