Goals to Help Students Overcome Probation
The faculty of the Department of Educational Services/SEEK has developed a list of goals or benchmarks for students on probation. These benchmarks detail the behaviors and skills necessary to succeed at Brooklyn College.
- review my program with my counselor,
- find a study partner in each of my classes and exchange phone numbers and e-mails,
- sign up and attend tutoring for at least two of my courses (ENG 1 or ENG 2 should be one of them),
- do all the work for my classes, including homework assignments,
- attend all class sessions and be prepared and on time,
- not unofficially withdraw (WU) from any of my classes,
- resolve any incomplete or absence (INC/ABS) grade by Feb. 24 and any absentee final grade by Feb. 10, 2006, and
- study my syllabus and use a planner.
College Life Benchmarks
- come to 2208 Boylan Hall for a CUNYCAP assignment,
- meet with my counselor and CUNYCAP once a week,
- complete my Monitoring Sheet weekly and return it to my CUNYCAP monthly,
- report to my CUNYCAP, counselor and tutor if I don’t understand class assignments,
- visit each of my instructors during office hours and discuss my work,
- sign up for the CPE workshop if I have more than 45 credits, and
- present a Progress Report Form to each of my professors and return it to my CUNYCAP.
- identify and visit, during their office hours, a faculty member who might be able to provide career and academic advice,
- plan a weekly schedule including class, study and personal time,
- have a two-year plan to improve my academic progress,
- complete and submit my Benchmark Report (pdf), and
- complete my Probation Monitoring Sheet (pdf).
As a SEEK probation student, I will do the following:
- Visit my counselor, CUNYCAP and tutor weekly, have them sign my monitoring sheet, and return it on the first of each month (Download a copy of the monitoring sheet (pdf).).
- Have my program reviewed by my counselor by Sept. 6.
- Sign up for weekly two hours of tutoring by Sept. 12.
- Sign up for an additional one hour of English workshop if I am taking ENG 1.
- Report to 2208 Boylan Hall and be assigned a CUNYCAP by Sept. 12.
- Attend all class sessions.
- Do all class and homework assignments, and keep up with the reading.
- Be prepared and be on time.
- Report to my counselor, CUNYCAP and tutor if I do not understand the classwork.
- Study my class syllabus and plan my semester work for each course.
- Visit each of my instructors during his or her office hours to discuss my progress.
- Find a study partner in each of my classes and exchange phone numbers and e-mail addresses.
- Not unofficially withdraw from any class.
- Comply with all of the above and make satisfactory progress in all courses, otherwise I will not be allowed to register early.
- Understand that I will be dismissed if I do not improve my GPA beyond 2.00.
- Complete the Sophmore Benchmarks on time (if I am a second-year student).
- Resolve any INC or ABS grades before registration.