Admissions Guide

Application Documents

Only complete applications are forwarded to academic departments for review. We ask that you register your recommenders in our online application system so that recommenders are able to submit their letters electronically. All other supporting documents such as official transcripts and essays should be collected and mailed directly. Mail your materials to us under one mailing using the Document Cover Sheet. Items received without a Document Cover Sheet take longer to process and match to your application.

Application documents vary by program. You are advised to review your intended program's requirements.

Official Transcripts

Submit official transcripts from all universities and colleges attended. Transcripts must arrive in envelopes sealed by the institution's registrar office. Non-degree applicants need only submit unofficial transcripts.

International Transcript Credential Evaluation

International transcripts must be evaluated by a professional agency accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Evaluations must include course-by-course analysis indicating the type of degree received, the U.S. equivalency of the degree, the graduation date and a cumulative grade point average. This will help us understand your educational background and academic credentials. Allow plenty of time between the evaluation and the application deadline, especially if you are currently residing outside of the United States and require a student visa. For further information, please refer to our guidelines.

Letters of Recommendation

You are required to send two letters of recommendation. Some programs require three. Letters should come from individuals who can assess your potential for graduate study. We ask that you register your recommenders in our online application system, so that recommenders are able to submit their letters electronically.

Personal Statement / Essay

Most programs require a typewritten, two- to three-page statement explaining your purpose in undertaking graduate study in your intended program. This is your opportunity to inform us about your goals, interests and career plans as they relate to your intended academic study. Some programs require other essays in addition to, or in lieu of, the personal statement.


A copy of your most recent résumé is required by some programs.

Portfolios and Manuscripts

A portfolio of artwork or a manuscript is required by some programs.


The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required by some programs. We accept test scores sent to us directly from ETS only. Our ETS Institution code is 2046.


The Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) is required by some programs.


The Miller Analogies Test (MAT) is accepted by some programs in lieu of the GRE. We accept test scores sent to us directly from the Harcourt Test Center only.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

TOEFL score report is required from applicants whose first language is not English and who did not receive the equivalent of a four-year U.S. undergraduate education from an institution where English is the official language of instruction. We will accept TOEFL scores sent to us directly from Educational Testing Services (ETS) only. Our ETS Institution code is 2046. We will also accept exam scores from IELTS.

Nondegree Study

Students who wish to take courses without pursuing a degree may apply for nondegree status. Complete the online application form and select an academic area in which you intend to take classes. Applicants for nondegree study do not pay the application fee until after they are accepted. Submit an official or unofficial copy of your transcript showing bachelor’s degree notation. No additional supporting documents are required for most programs. Please check the application requirements here. Please note that:

  • Not all programs offer nondegree admission.
  • Nondegree students are not eligible for financial aid.
  • Admission as a nondegree student does not guarantee later admittance as a matriculated student.



To reapply, you need to complete and submit a new graduate degree application online. You do not need to resubmit any supporting documents if you applied within the last two years. No additional application fee is required if you are reapplying within a year of your first application or currently attending as a nondegree student.


Students who were previously enrolled as a student in a degree program and were absent for a term or more must apply for readmission through the office of the Registrar. Print and complete the Readmission Application (pdf) and submit with payment to the Enrollment Services Center in person or through mail.

Office of Graduate Admissions
Brooklyn College
2900 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11210
P: 718.951.5001
F: 718.951.5076