Undergraduate Application Requirements

Applications will not be complete until all required documents have been submitted. Official translations must be submitted for all documents written in a language other than English. Copies of the original documents must accompany the translations.


Foreign nationals on temporary immigration status whose native language is not English and whose secondary and postsecondary schooling was not in English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). For application forms and information about the examination, students should contact:

Educational Testing Service
Admissions Testing Program
Princeton, NJ 08540

F-1 Students

Applicants with F-1 student status are accepted as matriculated students only. Students in this status must attend full time. In order to obtain the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from the college, students must present a documented "Certificate of Finance." Students are required to subscribe to a medical insurance plan and arrange for their own housing.

CUNY Forms

All students educated abroad, including permanent residents and foreign nationals, should file the appropriate CUNY application form:

  • First-Year Student forms should be filed by students who have never attended postsecondary institutions.
  • Transfer forms should be filed by those who have attended postsecondary institutions.

Special Programs

International students are eligible for several special programs. Before applying, explore these three opportunities:

  • TOCA, a program that helps students graduate in four years;
  • Honors Academy, a special program for academically gifted students; and 
  • First Year College, a terrific way to spend your freshman year.

Applications and information about special admission requirements for international students may be obtained from:

Office of Admissions
222 West Quad Center
2900 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11210
P: 718.951.5001
F: 718.951.4506
E: adminqry@brooklyn.cuny.edu