Who is a transfer student?

A transfer student is an applicant who has attended any college, university, vocational or religious institution after graduating from high school or receiving a GED.

How do I apply as a transfer student?

To apply as a transfer student, use the CUNY Transfer Application or visit our Office of Admissions.

Can I submit my application directly to Brooklyn College?

Yes, CUNY Transfer applications can be submitted directly to the Office of Admissions for domestic students only. The application must be accompanied by official transcripts from schools attended. Please note that applications for students who have attended any schools outside of the United States should be submitted to the University Application Processing Center at the address indicated on the application.

Do I have to submit transcripts from all schools attended?


What happens if I don't report all previous institutions that I have attended?

A student will have provided false information, and could potentially have his or her admission or degree revoked.

What if the post-secondary school I attended is not accredited? Do I still need to submit that official transcript?


Do you need my official high school transcript?

Applicants who have earned fewer than 30 credits are required to submit official high school transcripts. Applicants who have attended an institution that is not accredited may also have to submit an official high school transcript.

What if I took college courses while still in high school? Would I need to complete a transfer application?

No. You would need to complete a CUNY First-Year Student application.

How many credits do I need to have in order to transfer to Brooklyn College? What are the GPA requirements?

Admission to Brooklyn College is based on the following criteria:

  • Transfer students with fewer than 25 credits completed at the time of application must also fulfill our freshmen requirements and submit their high school documentation as part of the application process. In addition, the student's completed college work must have an overall GPA of 2.30.
  • Transfer students with 25 or more credits completed at the time of application must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.30.
  • Students who have been awarded an associate degree from a CUNY community college will be admitted with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00.
  • Students who have been awarded a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution will be admitted with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00.

I am a former Brooklyn College student looking to return. Do I need to complete a CUNY Transfer application?

If you have not attended another college or university, you can fill out a readmission application.

If you have attended another college or university after your last semester at Brooklyn College, you need to fill out a transfer application.

I was accepted by another CUNY college for the upcoming semester but wish to attend Brooklyn College instead. Do I have to complete another CUNY Transfer application?

No. You would need to come into the Office of Admissions (second floor, West Quad Center) and complete a Change of College Choice form.

Will Brooklyn College accept all of my credits?

We can accept up to 60 credits from a community college. Students who attended a four-year college can transfer a maximum of 90 credits.

Can I find out what credits will be accepted by Brooklyn College?

Visit the CUNY transfer credit website to obtain information on transfer credits between Brooklyn College and other CUNY campuses. You may also use the BC Transfer Credit Tool to obtain lists of courses from your non-CUNY college that Brooklyn College has already evaluated and assigned Brooklyn College equivalent courses.

How long will it take to finish my degree once I transfer?

The time required to earn a baccalaureate degree is determined by the number of requirements a student completes prior to transfer, the number of requirements remaining to be completed, and the amount of units a student completes each term. If a student completes all of the General Education requirements, lower-division Core requirements and a total of 60 transferable semester units, and continues at the transfer institution full-time, the student should be able to graduate in two years.

What about Brooklyn College's Core Curriculum?

  • Students entering with an A.A. or A.S. degree must complete two upper-tier Core courses.
  • Students entering with an A.A.S., international credits or no degree must complete all lower-tier and two upper-tier Core courses.
  • Students with prior four-year college attendance and acceptance of 60 or more credits with 30 of those credits being liberal arts courses must complete two upper-tier Core courses.
  • Core exemptions will be determined by the Evaluation Office(s) for lower-tier Core courses only.

What if I already have a bachelor's degree?

Applicants who wish to earn a second bachelor's degree must apply for transfer admission.

Do you offer scholarships for incoming transfer students?

Yes. Students interested in scholarships may go to the scholarship website to research and apply for scholarships.