CUNY E-permit Guide

General Information

  • Only matriculated students may apply for an e-permit.
  • All prerequisites must be completed prior to submitting an e-permit.
  • Undergraduate students must have a GPA of at least 2.00 to obtain a permit.
  • Once an e-permit is approved, a perm code representing the course(s) you submitted to take at the host college will be placed on your record.
  • Because college-wide requirements must be taken at the home college, a permit may not be obtained to transfer credits for Core classes, English 1 or English 2.
  • A student who has 60 completed credits or more (the current semester credits are counted) may not obtain a permit to take courses at a two-year college.
  • Second-degree students and students with 90 transfer credits may not take courses on permit.
  • All courses (undergraduate and graduate) taken on permit at another CUNY college will be transferred to Brooklyn College with the credits and grades (A–D, F, W, WN, WU) received from the host college.

Steps for Filing an E-permit

  1. Visit the CUNY portal.
  2. If you have not done so already, register an account and then log in.
  3. Click on "e-permit" to create a new permit.
  4. Complete the e-permit application.
  5. Review everything on the application before clicking "Submit."
  6. You will be notified via e-mail when your e-permit has been processed.
  7. If you are approved, register at the host college, using their registration system. If you are unable to register at the host college for an approved e-permit course(s), cancel your e-permit immediately.
  8. You must pay the home college for e-permit courses.
  9. Consult the CUNY Transfer Information & Program Planning System website and select the home college equivalent course.
  10. If you are a financial aid recipient, you are required to take courses that are applicable to your degree. If you cannot obtain or stay enrolled in the courses you registered for, you must drop your e-permit immediately to avoid incurring any additional charges and fees at your home college. If you drop below the credits that you were originally approved for, withdraw from all courses, or receive a WN or WU grade and do not report it back to your home college, your financial aid may be adversely affected.

Senior-year Students

Lower and upper seniors must obtain permission from the Center for Academic Advisement and Student Success (CAASS), 3207 Boylan Hall, before submitting an e-permit. The following steps detail this process:

  1. Obtain a permit form in the Office of the Registrar, on the third floor of the West Quad Center.
  2. For each course that you wish to take at another institution, go to the corresponding academic department at Brooklyn College. Obtain a letter from a department representative that provides a clear academic rationale why it is appropriate to take this course at another institution instead of Brooklyn College. If Brooklyn College does not have a department that directly corresponds to the department offering the course you wish to take, you may obtain the supporting letter from your major department and/or from the department from which you expect to receive transfer credit for that course.
  3. Submit the letter and permit application to the CAASS and speak with an adviser.
  4. Prepare a letter of appeal to the Committee on Course and Standing. 
  5. Please allow at least four weeks for a decision from the Committee on Course and Standing.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for an e-permit?

Go to the CUNY portal and follow the simple steps stated above.

How do I know what the home college equivalent course is?

Consult the CUNY Transfer Information & Program Planning System website.

Can I take a course on permit to satisfy the F-grade Replacement Policy?

No. If the course was failed at the home college, it must be re-taken at the home college. Refer to the college Bulletin for details.

If I have not attended for a semester or more, can I apply for an e-permit?

Yes, but you must readmit before you apply for an e-permit.

Is there a help desk for e-permit problems?

Yes. For technical difficulties, call 718.677.6180. If you forget your password, call 718.951.4188.

Is there a counselor who can help me decide what course I can take on permit?

There are two options. You may speak with your major department before you decide. Or you may speak with a counselor at the Center for Academic Advisement and Student Success (CAASS), 3207 Boylan Hall, to plan what courses are needed.

How will I know if I am approved or denied?

You will receive an e-mail once the process has been completed.

How do I change my home college if it is different from what appears on the CUNY e-permit portal?

Go to "My Profile," click "Modify," change the home college, and then be sure to save the transaction.