Distance Learning Examination Program
Brooklyn College is a participant in the NCTA Consortium of College Testing Centers. As a member of the consortium, we offer proctoring services to students who are taking online courses and who are visiting the city and need to fulfill an exam requirement for their out-of-state or international college or university.
Distance Learning Administration
Since April 2005 the Office of Testing has been an active Distance Learning Test Center with the capacity to test 46 examinees at any one time. We administer paper-based, computer-based, and internet-based exams.
Distance Learning exams are scheduled according to demand and availability of testing space. To accommodate a high demand or conflicting testing dates and times, rooms are sometimes reserved on other parts of the campus for the test administration. Testing times are:
- Monday 9:30am-5:30 pm, Wednesday: 9:30a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Thursday, 9:30am – 4:30 p.m. Friday, 9:30am-3:30pm.
Currently, we do not offer weekend test administrations.
Reservations for the exam administrations should be requested at least five business days prior to the exam date. Be sure to confirm with your examining school the date, time of your exam and the time allotted for your exam, Registration appointments are scheduled through our secured Online Registration system.
Upon successful registration, you will receive an e-mail confirmation. Please print your confirmation letter and bring it with you on your test date. Also review the directions to Brooklyn College and the campus map.
Reservations are completed when the following steps have been implemented:
- The examining school has contacted us with its requirements for the administration of the exam, the date(s) the exam(s) is to be administered and the exam has been forwarded to our office prior to the date.
- All shipping and handling fees are submitted no less than five business days prior to the exam. The examinee is responsible for any fees needed to return an exam either by USPS or via courier such as UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. These fees must be paid five business days prior to the administration of the scheduled exam. If the sponsoring school (domestic only) does not provide a prepaid postage envelope for the return of the exam, a $10 shipping and handling fee is required.
- All International examinees are responsible for any fees needed to return an exam by courier such as FEDEX, DHL, or UPS. The overall service fee for return by courier is $55.00 in addition to the administration fee(s) that has already been submitted for your scheduled exam(s) via the online registration. We will only accept shipping payments made with Postal Money Order, Certified Bank Check, or Bank Money Order made payable to BC Member Organization.
As the test administrator, Brooklyn College will provide the following:
- A secured area for storage and security purposes to prevent unauthorized access to the papers prior to and during the examination, and until all materials have been returned to the examining school
- Signage to building and rooms
- Quiet surroundings (no undue noise that may disturb students)
- Comfortable room temperatures (heated in winter and cooled in summer)
- Reception area in which examinees can assemble prior to the exam
- A clock clearly visible to all examinees
- A supply of #2 pencils, pens and scratch paper
- Access to phone, fax machine and photocopier to facilitate the receiving and return of exams
- Accommodations for examinees with disabilities
Examinees with a learning or physical disability may request special accommodations. Special accommodations will be provided once the examinee submits official documentation validating the disability and this documentation is approved.
Rescheduling or Cancellation
An examinee (domestic students only) is allowed to reschedule a test date once (with a minimum of 24-hour notification) without penalty of an additional test administration fee. Failure to notify of the change in test date less than 24 hour will result in forfeiture of the fee. Failure to keep the scheduled test date will result in the forfeiture of all submitted fees for the missed exam. Candidates who did not attend a scheduled exam appointment will forfeit fees submitted for the exam.