Distance Learning Examination Program
Brooklyn College is a participant in the NCTA Consortium of College Testing Centers. As a member of the consortium, we offer proctoring services to students who are taking online courses and who are visiting the city and need to fulfill an exam requirement for their out-of-state or international school.
Distance Learning Administration
The Office of Testing has been an active Distance Learning Test Center since April 2005 with the capacity to test 26 examinees at any one time. We administer both paper-based and computer-based exams.
Distance Learning exams are scheduled according to demand and availability of testing space. To accommodate a high demand or conflicting testing dates and times, rooms are sometimes reserved on other parts of the campus for the test administration. Testing times are:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: between 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 10 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Currently, we do not offer weekend test administrations.
Reservations for the exam administrations should be requested at least two weeks in advance of the exam date. Registration appointments are made via e-mail. All contact information should be included in the e-mail, including name, address, telephone number, requested exam date and time, amount of time allotted for the exam, the name of the examining school and the name of the contact person at the examining school.
Reservations are not guaranteed until the following steps have been implemented:
- The examining school has contacted us with its requirements for the administration of the exam and the dates the exam(s) is to be administered, and the exam has been forwarded to our office at least five days prior to the date of the exam.
- We must receive confirmation from the examinee that he/she will sit for the exam on the specified date at the specified time. We must be in receipt of the total administration fee no less than five days prior to the administration of the exam.
- All test administration fees and all shipping/handling fees are to be submitted no less than five business days prior to the exam date.
Guidelines and Forms
Print the Registration Guidelines and Registration Form. You must read all the guidelines and complete the Registration Form to reserve your testing date.
As the test administrator, Brooklyn College will provide the following:
- A secured area for storage and security purposes to prevent unauthorized access to the papers prior to and during the examination, and until all materials have been returned to the examining school
- Signage to building and rooms
- Quiet surroundings (no undue noise that may disturb students)
- Comfortable room temperatures (heated in winter and cooled in summer)
- Reception area in which examinees can assemble prior to the exam
- A clock clearly visible to all examinees
- A supply of #2 pencils, pens and scratch paper
- Access to phone, fax machine and photocopier to facilitate the receiving and return of exams
- Accommodations for examinees with disabilities
Payment for Exam Registration
The administration fee is $25 for each exam per examinee for a minimum two-hour block of time and an additional $15 for each hour (or any part thereof) exceeding the original two-hour block of time. Fees are based on the time allotted by the examining school for the exam, (e.g., if three hours are allotted for the exam administration, the fee will be $40). Postal money orders or bank money orders are the only forms of payment accepted. No cash or personal check payments will be accepted.
Additionally, the examinee is responsible for any fees needed to return an exam either by USPS or via courier such as UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. These fees must be paid no less than five business days prior to the administration of the scheduled exam. If the sponsoring school (domestic only) does not provide a prepaid postage envelope for the return of the exam, a $10 shipping and handling fee is required. International shipping of exams is by courier only, and prepaid return packaging is to be provided by the examinee or the sponsoring school. If prepaid return service is not provided, an additional $55 shipping and handling fee is required.
Examinees with a learning or physical disability may request special accommodations. Special accommodations will be provided once the examinee submits official documentation validating the disability and this documentation is approved.
Rescheduling or Cancellation
An examinee (domestic students only) is allowed to reschedule a test date once (with a minimum of 24-hour notification) without penalty of an additional test administration fee. Failure to keep the rescheduled test date will result in the forfeiture of all submitted fees for the missed exam.
Examinees will receive a full refund of the Test Administration Fee if a cancellation request is received at least 24 hours prior to the test. A cancellation request received in less than a 24-hour period will result in the forfeiture of all submitted fees for the cancelled exam. Examinees who do not attend a scheduled exam appointment and do not give 24-hour notification will forfeit all fees submitted for that exam.