Michelle J. Anderson was named president of Brooklyn College in 2016. She holds a B.A. from the University of California, Santa Cruz, and a J.D. from Yale Law School.
In a joint statement, Board of Trustees Chairman Benno Schmidt and Chancellor James B. Milliken stated: "Anderson brings to Brooklyn College a record of extraordinary academic leadership and success, a strong commitment to students, an exemplary record of public service and a deep belief in Brooklyn College's mission of academic excellence and opportunity. She will build upon an exemplary foundation of student and faculty achievement nurtured and enhanced by President Karen Gould at an institution so vital to our state, city, and nation." Read more about President Anderson.
The president is the highest-ranking officer at Brooklyn College. The president is responsible for maintaining educational standards and advancing the academic mission of the college. She serves the chancellor of the City University of New York as his adviser and executive agent on campus.
The president oversees the seven major administrative divisions of the college:
- Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Office of the Vice President for Enrollment Management
- Office of the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Office of the Vice President for Institutional Advancement and Executive Director of the Brooklyn College Foundation
- Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
- Office of the Executive Director of Government and External Affairs
- Office of the Assistant Vice President of Marketing, Communications and Public Relations
The president also oversees the Office of Diversity and Equity Programs and the Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts.