New York State Residency

Students applying for in-state tuition must have resided in New York State, with the intent to stay, for at least one year prior to the first day of class for the semester in which they are applying for a determination. Students must submit proper documentation along with the CUNY Residency Application (pdf). You are responsible for the payment of any and all out-of-state tuition by the tuition due date on your bill until your request for New York State residency status has been reviewed and a decision has been made in your favor. If a determination is made in your favor at a later date, you may be eligible for a tuition refund.

Nonresidents of New York State and Out-of-status (Undocumented) Students

Nonresidents of New York State and out-of-status (undocumented) students who attended a New York State high school for at least two years and graduated, or obtained a New York State GED diploma, may apply for in-state tuition if they apply to CUNY within five years of receiving their diploma.

Appeal Process

If the student believes that he or she meets requirements for in-state tuition, he or she may appeal by notifying the Registrar's Office (or other designated college appeal office) within 10 days of notification that he or she has been determined to be a nonresident. At that time, the student must submit a statement to the registrar (or other designated official) indicating why he or she disagrees with the college's decision.