How Alumni Can Help the Magner Center
To remain competitive, our students need to prepare for their careers by completing one or more internships by the time they graduate. Students who lack financial resources need assistance in order to afford to take high-quality internships. We are looking for:
- Internships Opportunities — Providing internships, ideally paid, is an especially helpful way of giving students the opportunity to remain competitive for top-level jobs.
- Internship Stipends — Providing monetary gifts or stipends that enable students to take the internships they need is a great way to help. Without this support, many students would be unable to leave their part-time jobs to take needed internships.
There's nothing like getting first-hand knowledge from someone in the field. Being an alumni career adviser can range from answering questions about a student's upcoming interview to questions about your career path. Anyone can be helpful, whether you recently graduated or are retired. To become a mentor, you just need to complete your profile on the Ways Alumni Can Help form. Alumni should also join the Magner Career Center, Brooklyn College Alumni & Student Professional Networking Group on LinkedIin as another way to connect with students. Students attend a prep workshop to gain access to alumni and our LinkedIn group. For more information on becoming a mentor, contact Zavi Gunn at ZGunn@brooklyn.cuny.edu and review our frequently asked questions.
Career Panels / Company Visits / Professional Skills Training
Coming back to campus to speak with students about your career success is a valuable way of ensuring that our students understand the dynamics of the world of work. Listening to the stories of successful alumni is inspirational and highly motivational. Become part of a panel discussion or a roundtable, or visit classes in your field.
Alumni are a major source of job leads for Brooklyn College students and recent graduates.
- Contact Fred Balsam at FBalsam@brooklyn.cuny.edu — Post your job opportunities on eRecruiting to reach hundreds of highly qualified Brooklyn College students directly.
- Attend the Brooklyn College Job Fairs — Represent your company at one of our job fairs and meet qualified students to fulfill your company's needs. Over 1,000 students attend our job fairs annually.
- Recruit on and off campus — Participate in the special Recruitment Program that enables companies to recruit Brooklyn College students who have been prepared for the job search.