Fingerprint Clearance Instructions
Fingerprint clearance can take 1-3 weeks so allow enough time for your fingerprint clearance to be completed and verified.
This verification must be made prior to your work with students in a New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) school and/or NYC DOE affiliated location and/or as part of your requirements for NY State Teacher Certification.
Note that the system was updated in December 2013 and the instructions below supersede previous instructions.
- If you will be doing fieldwork observations for over five days or 40 hours (including prior time spent doing fieldwork observations)
- If you will be working as a student teacher
- you completed your fingerprint clearance with the NYC or NY State Department of Education prior to December 2013
- If you are applying for NY State Teacher Certification and your fingerprint clearance is not listed on your TEACH account at www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert
You must pre-register with the Personnel Eligibility Tracking System (PETS). There is no pre-registration being done by the college at this time. Please follow one of the following:
- Call 718.935.2665 or send an e-mail to PetsAdminSupport@schools.nyc.gov. Provide your name, college name, Social Security number, date of birth, phone, mailing address including zip code, e-mail, student teaching school placement if known (if it is not known, you will determine this with the professor for your student teaching class). You will need to wait at least 2-4 hours for an e-mail to be sent to you before you can proceed to the Fingerprint Unit on Court Street. There is no guarantee that you can be fingerprinted the same day, so we recommend calling or e-mailing prior to going to the Fingerprint Unit.
- Or go in person to 65 Court Street Brooklyn, Room 200 and be added to the PETS data system. After you register, you will need to allow 2-4 hours for an e-mail confirmation to be sent to you so you can proceed to the Fingerprint Unit on Court Street. This e-mail can be sent to your phone or you can use a computer kiosk at the site. There is no guarantee that you can be fingerprinted the same day, so we recommend calling or e-mailing prior to going to the Fingerprint Unit.
After you receive your e-mail confirmation from PETS, you will be directed to go the Fingerprint Unit, at the HR Connect Walk-in Center, 65 Court Street, Brooklyn, on the first floor. You will need to bring the following items:
- A government-issued photo identification (ex: driver’s license)
- A college/university ID
- Fingerprinting payment of $115
HR Connect only accepts personal checks or money orders made payable to NYCDOE/DHRT OR a debit/credit card except for American Express.
The HR Connect Walk-in Center is located at 65 Court Street in Brooklyn and is open Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm. You should be prepared to wait (possibly more than an hour). By the time you leave, you will have been added to PETS, completed all of the initial paperwork and be fingerprinted.
If there are any issues to be resolved for your fingerprint clearance you will be notified directly. You can verify your fingerprint clearance with your college program advisor.
If you are planning to work as student teacher or you will be doing fieldwork observation over five days in a NYC public school you must register with the NYC Department of Education via the online registration system at http://nyc.teacherssupportnetwork.com/studentteacher. Registration is not required for charter school or private school student teaching placements. Registration is required for all students doing field observation over five days in a NYC public school.
International student teachers should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 718.935.2516 to receive assistance in registration.
When you register at http://nyc.teacherssupportnetwork.com/studentteacher you will need to create a user account and complete your online registration. Please note, even if you have already created a user account to begin a full-time teacher job application you must still create a new user account to complete your student teacher registration.
Please submit your student teacher placement information as part of the registration process. If you do not know your placement information when you first create your user account, you need to log back in as soon as it is known to add your placement information. Once you have fully completed all the required registration information, you should print your registration confirmation letter from the site. Your host school principal or his/her representative will ask to see your registration confirmation letter. Be sure to enter an active e-mail address when registering.
NYC DOE School or Location
If you need fingerprint clearance because you will be working in a NYC DOE school or location, and if you are not enrolled in student teaching or a class that includes fieldwork, follow these instructions: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/ospra/fpprocess.html.
Field Observation Classes
If you are enrolling in field observation classes, you may fulfill up to 5 days or 40 hours of observation in total without needing to obtain security clearance. If you do 5 days or 40 hours in one semester, you do not get to "reset" the clock in the next semester or next year, in that case you will need fingerprint clearance. The 40 hours only include observations in a school with the permission of the principal.
If you are an international student and if you do not have a Social Security number, you must make an appointment with the Office of Personnel Investigations by sending an e-mail to OPIInfo@schools.nyc.gov or calling 718.935.2665. Indicate to the OPI representative you are an international student teacher without Social Security number. You will be directed to the correct person. You must have an appointment and bring in the following four items:
- Student visa
- Proof of enrollment in an education program (a letter from your college will suffice)
- College ID card
If you have been previously fingerprinted by any agency other than the NYC DOE or NY State Education Department, you will need to have your fingerprint clearance processed by following the instructions above. For example, if you had your fingerprint clearance processed by the DOI, you will need to follow the instructions above.