Applying for Additional Certification
If you are applying for certification in an age group/subject that is not related to your college preparation program (e.g., you want to apply for a additional certification in early childhood and you are already certified to teach grades 1-6):
- You must have initial New York State certification in effect (verify on your TEACH account).
- You can check the certification requirements.
- You will need sealed copies of all of your transcripts, which you can order from the registrar. Ask for copies to be sent to your home. Keep the transcripts in their sealed envelopes.
- You will need to send copies of your mandated workshop completion certificates to the NYS ED Office of Teaching Initiatives (OTI) for verification if they are not posted on your TEACH account. Please refer to the Mandated Workshops link for information.
- If you do not meet the requirements for the additional certificate you need yet, you may be eligible to work on a supplementary certificate while you are completing the requirements for your additional certificate. You can check by searching the certification requirements.
- Check your transcript to see if you have completed or will be completing the requirements listed. Requirements for certification can only be verified by OTI. If you like, you can send your transcripts for evaluation to the NYS ED and apply for your certification before you complete your requirements to check the completion of the requirements completed so far. You may receive two evaluations for your application before needing to pay for a new evaluation.
- If you sent your transcripts to OTI yourself within the last three years, they should still be on file at OTI. If not, you will need to send official sealed copies of all of your transcripts to OTI if/when you apply for additional certificates that are not considered to be related to your college program/certification age group/subject.
- Log in to your TEACH account.
- Verify and update your profile.
- Complete and pay for an application for your additional certification area.
- Select a type of certificate:
Initial Certification: Teaching less than three years, or
Professional Certification: For this you must have (1) three or more years of paid teaching experience, and (2) a related master's degree including one year of mentored experience. Refer to Professional Certificate — Master's Degree Requirement. You will also need to complete any other requirements listed for your professional certificate. The first professional certification that you apply for should be related to the age group/subject you have been teaching. The other professional certificate applications should be based on the issuance of the first professional certificate. For "Educational Preparation for this application only," do not enter a program code. Instead, select "No, I have not completed, nor am I enrolled in, an Approved Teacher Preparation Program at a New York State College or University for this certificate and this type." This is because you are applying for certification based on completion of additional requirements that are not directly related to your college preparation program.
- You should be applying through the Additional Classroom Teaching Certificate (Must hold a valid certificate) "pathway"/ application type.
- Write a cover letter explaining your request, and send it with your sealed transcript(s) and your workshop certificates to the address below. You may opt to send these by certified mail, return receipt requested. Keep copies for yourself.
New York State Education Department
Office of Teaching Initiatives, Room 5N-EB
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234
Monitor your TEACH account, and check for any application evaluations that may be posted. Allow about three months for this to be done. Automated evaluations are posted when the computer has completed an evaluation, and some requirements may be marked "unmet" until your application is reviewed. Manual evaluations are posted when your transcript and other documentation has been examined by the Office of Teaching Initiatives.