Applying for Additional Certification
If you are applying for certification in a program area other than your bachelor's or master's degree, you will need the following:
- You must have initial New York State certification in effect (verify on your TEACH account).
- You must complete the certification requirements.
- You must have sealed copies of all of your transcripts, which you can order from the registrar. Ask for copies to be sent to your home. Keep the transcripts in their sealed envelopes.
- You must have copies of your mandated workshop completion certificates if they are not posted on your TEACH account. Please refer to the Mandated Workshops link for information about the new required workshop.
- Log in to your TEACH account.
- Verify and update your profile. Complete and pay for an application for your certification area.
- Select a type of certificate:
- Initial Certification: Teaching less than three years.
- Professional Certification: For this you must have three or more years of paid teaching experience and you must have a related master’s degree including one year of mentored experience. Refer to Professional Certificate — Master's Degree Requirement.
- For "Educational Preparation for this application only," do not enter a program code. Instead, select "B. No, I have not completed, nor am I enrolled in, an Approved Teacher Preparation Program at a New York State College or University for this certificate and type." This is because you are applying for certification based on completion of additional requirements.
If this is your first application for this program area, select "individual evaluation for additional teaching certificate."
If you have initial certification in this area but do not have a master's in this area, select "certificate progression."
Write a cover letter explaining your request, and send the cover letter with your sealed transcript(s) and your workshop certificates to:
New York State Education Department
Office of Teaching Initiatives, Room 5N-EB
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234
Send by certified mail, return receipt requested. Keep copies for yourself.
Monitor your TEACH account, and check for any application evaluations that may be posted. Allow about three months for this to be done. Automated evaluations are posted when the computer has completed an evaluation. Manual evaluations are posted when your transcript and other documentation has been examined by an officer at the Office of Teaching Initiatives.