Applying for Additional Certification
If you are applying for certification in an age group/subject that is not directly related to your college preparation program (e.g., you want to apply for an additional certification in early childhood and you are already certified to teach grades 1-6):
- You must have New York State certification in effect (verify on your TEACH account).
- You can check the certification requirements under the “Pathway: Additional Classroom Teaching Certificate(Must hold a valid certificate).”
- You will need sealed copies of your relevant transcripts, which you can order from the registrar. Ask for copies to be sent to your home. Keep the transcripts in their sealed envelopes.
- You should send copies of your mandated workshop completion certificates to the NY State Education Department Office of Teaching Initiatives (OTI) for verification if they are not posted on your TEACH account. Please refer to the Mandated Workshops link for information.
- If you do not meet the requirements your additional certificate yet, you can consider applying for a supplementary certificate while you are completing the requirements for your additional certificate. You can check by searching the certification requirements.
- Check your transcript to see if you have completed or will be completing the requirements listed. Requirements for certification can only be verified by OTI. If you like, you can send your transcripts for evaluation to OTI and apply for your certification before you complete your requirements to check the completion of the requirements completed so far. Currently, applications are valid for three years or two evaluations, whichever comes first.
- If you sent your transcripts to OTI yourself within the last three years, they should still be on file at OTI. If not, you will need to send official sealed copies of all of your transcripts to OTI if/when you apply for additional certificates that are not directly related to your college program/certification age group/subject.
- Log in to your TEACH account.
- Verify and update your profile.
- Complete and pay for an application for your additional certification area.
- Select a type of certificate:
Initial (or provisional) Certification if you don't have the work experience yet for any of your certification areas. Initial certification is for classroom teaching titles. Provisional certification is for school psychologists and school counselors.
Professional (or permanent) certification. Professional certification is for classroom teaching titles. Permanent certification is for school psychologists and school counselors. For this you must complete the work experience requirement, a related master's degree and any other requirements listed. For classroom teaching titles one year of mentored experience is required according to the guidelines posted. Refer to this link: Professional Certificate — Master's Degree Requirement. The first professional certification that you apply for should be related to the age group/subject you have been teaching. The other professional certificate applications should be based on the issuance of the first professional certificate. For "Educational Preparation for this application only," do not enter a program code. Instead, select "No, I have not completed, nor am I enrolled in, an Approved Teacher Preparation Program at a New York State College or University for this certificate and this type." This is because you are applying for certification based on completion of additional requirements that are not directly related to your college preparation program.
- You should be applying through the Additional Classroom Teaching Certificate (Must hold a valid certificate) "pathway"/ application type. You can check the certification requirements to be sure.
- Refer to the detail in this link: Experience Requirements for Certification. Be sure to file the Verification of Experience form after you have completed the experience requirement.
- Write a short cover letter explaining your request, and send it with your sealed transcript(s) and your workshop certificates to the address below. You may opt to send these with a postal tracking number, and then check the delivery status for your letter.
New York State Education Department
Office of Teaching Initiatives, Room 5N-EB
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234
Monitor your TEACH account, and check for any application evaluations that may be posted. Allow about three months for this to be done. Automated evaluations are posted when the computer has completed an evaluation, and some requirements may be marked "unmet" until your application is reviewed. Manual evaluations are posted when your transcript and other documentation has been examined by the Office of Teaching Initiatives.