Mandated Workshops for All School Professionals
These workshops must be posted on your TEACH account as listed below or the Certification Officer must verify their completion before entering your recommendation for New York State teacher certification. You only need to complete each of these once; they do not expire.
- Identification and Reporting of Child Abuse
- School Violence Prevention
- New workshop: All school professionals applying for a New York State teaching certificate or license on or after Dec. 30, 2013, are required to complete the new Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop on training on the social patterns of harassment, bullying and discrimination. Refer to the the information posted at the Office of Teaching Initiatives. Refer to the flyer below for information on completing this workshop. You can also inquire about further dates for the workshop by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Needs of Students with Autism. This workshop is required for New York State Certification only if you are applying for:
- certification to teach speech-language pathology and have not completed course SPE 7317 or 7319, or
- certification to teach students with disabilities or speech and language disabilities and you completed a program before Sept. 1, 2009, or
- additional certification to teach students with disabilities and you are not in a bachelor's or master's program leading to certification to teach students with disabilities.
If you must complete your workshops, you can complete them as follows:
- Specialized Programs at Brooklyn College: 718.951.5448
- Refer to the following flyers:
- Child Abuse Identification and Reporting, list of approved providers
- Child Abuse Workshop, online workshop
- School Violence Prevention and Intervention, list of approved providers
- School Violence Prevention Workshop online workshop
- Dignity for All Students, training on the social patterns of harassment, bullying and discrimination, list of approved providers
- Needs of Students With Autism, list of approved providers
- The United Federation of Teachers also offers workshops.
If Your School Violence Workshop, Identification of Child Abuse Workshop (and if Needed, Autism) Workshops, Are Not Posted on Your TEACH Account:
Mail copies of the certificates of completion to:
Office of Teaching Initiatives
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, 5N EB
Albany, NY 12234
Keep copies in your files.
Fax, e-mail or mail copies of your workshops certificates to the certification officer or hand deliver them during certification office hours. Do not send documents with your full Social Security number; just send the last four digits. These workshops will not be posted on your TEACH account unless you send them to the Office of Teaching Initiatives; the college recommendation for certification will attest that they were completed. Keep your certificates in your files in case they are ever asked for in the future.
Alumni: send a copy of the Certificate of Completion to the Office of Teaching Initiatives at the address above.
If you are enrolled in the School of Education, you may fax, e-mail or mail copies of your workshops certificate to the certification officer or hand deliver it during certification office hours. Do not send it with your full Social Security number; just send the last four digits. This workshop will not be posted on your TEACH account; the college recommendation for certification will attest that it was completed.