Mandated Workshops for All School Professionals
These workshops are a required component of your program and must be verified by the Certification Officer. Recommendations for New York State certification are entered after verification of your workshops and after your graduation has been confirmed by the Registrar. You only need to complete each of these workshops once; they do not expire.
- Identification and Reporting of Child Abuse
- School Violence Prevention
- Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop on training on the social patterns of harassment, bullying and discrimination. This is required for all school professionals completing state-registered programs leading to certification or applications for certification on or after Dec. 31, 2013. Refer to the the information posted at the Office of Teaching Initiatives DASA page.
- Needs of Students with Autism. This workshop is required for New York State Certification only if you are applying for:
- certification to teach speech-language pathology and have not completed course SPE 7317 or 7319, or
- certification to teach students with disabilities or speech and language disabilities and you completed a program before Sept. 1, 2009, or
- additional certification to teach students with disabilities and you are not in a bachelor's or master's program leading to certification to teach students with disabilities.
- School Violence Prevention and Identification of Child Abuse workshops
- Needs of Students with Autism workshop (see note above)
- Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop on training on the social patterns of harassment, bullying and discrimination
You can also complete the workshops by choosing from the following providers:
- Child Abuse Identification and Reporting, list of approved providers
- Child Abuse Workshop, online workshop
- School Violence Prevention and Intervention, list of approved providers
- School Violence Prevention Workshop online workshop
- DASA: Dignity for All Students, training on the social patterns of harassment, bullying and discrimination, list of approved providers
- Needs of Students With Autism, list of approved providers
- The United Federation of Teachers also offers workshops.
If Your Workshop Certificates Are Not Posted on Your TEACH Account:
- If you are completing a program leading to certification:
Fax, e-mail or mail copies of your workshops certificates to the certification officer or hand deliver them during certification office hours. Do not send documents with your full Social Security number; just send the last four digits. These workshops will not be posted on your TEACH account unless you send them to the NY State Dept. of Education Office of Teaching Initiatives; the college recommendation for certification will attest that they were completed. They are a required component of your program. Keep your certificates in your files in case they are ever asked for in the future. If you have previous college recommendations for certification, or if your workshops are posted on your TEACH account, we do not need to verify your workshops again.
The DASA workshop, however, does require verification by the certification officer if you completed your State registered program (bachelor's or master's or advanced certificate programs which you find in the student information sheet) leading to certification before Dec. 31, 2013, and do not have a recommendation for certification, and you are applying for certification on or after Dec. 31, 2013, and if the workshop is not posted on your TEACH account already.
- If you are not completing a program leading to certification:
If you are completing requirements for additional certification that is not related to a State registered program(bachelor's or master's or advanced certificate programs which you find in the student information sheet) leading to certification , and if your workshop certificates are not posted on your TEACH account, you will need to mail copies of the workshop certificates of completion to: Office of Teaching Initiatives, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, 5N EB, Albany, NY 12234. Photocopies are acceptable. Keep copies in your files.