What is the application processing fee for?

The $125 application fee covers the administrative costs of processing applications. It is not refundable. Applications cannot be reviewed without the fee.

Do you issue application fee waivers?

Our fee waiver policy can be found here.

Do I have to apply online?

Yes, we do not offer a paper-based application.

Will you accept letters of recommendation via e-mail?

Yes, but we prefer that recommenders submit letters electronically through our online application system.

Do you accept letters of recommendation through the mail?

Yes. Hard copy letters of recommendation should be in sealed envelopes with the recommender’s signature across the seal.

I was educated outside the United States. Do I need to have my transcript evaluated?

Yes, you should obtain an evaluation from an NACES-accredited agency, unless your degree was awarded by a university in one of the countries listed here. All documents not issued in English by the official institution must be accompanied by certified English translations.

What is Brooklyn College’s school code for the GRE and TOEFL?

Our ETS Institution code is 2046 for the GRE and TOEFL.

Should I mail my documents or give them to your office in person?

You may submit documents in person or by mail, whichever is more convenient for you.

Do I have to submit all transcripts?

Yes, transcripts must be mailed to the Office of Graduate Admissions. A transcript is required from each college or university attended for academic credit, showing all courses, grades and degrees received (if any).  A transcript can be submitted in the form of an official transcript, a copy of an official transcript, or an academic record from your institution's Student Information System portal. This includes any study-abroad programs or transfer credit not reflected on your undergraduate transcripts with full course titles and final grades.

Do they have to be official copies?

If you are recommended for admission you will be required to submit official transcripts from all academic institutions listed on your application, unless it is already on file. Your offer of admission will be contingent upon the receipt and verification of your official transcripts. Brooklyn College reserves the right to rescind an offer of admission, if there is a discrepancy between the unofficial version and the official original transcript(s).

I am a Brooklyn College alumnus; do I need to submit my Brooklyn College transcripts?

No, we will obtain your transcript from the college’s student record system if you attended from 2003 or later.

I am an alumnus of another CUNY college. Do I need to submit my CUNY transcripts?

No, we will obtain your transcript from the college’s student record system if you attended from 2003 or later.

How will I know my application status?

Soon after you apply you will receive an e-mail from our office. You will then be able to check your application status online. An e-mail will be sent to you whenever there is a change in your status.

How long will it take for a decision to be rendered on my application?

Complete applications are usually reviewed within six weeks of the program’s application deadline.

What is the required GPA (grade point average)?

Successful applicants to our programs usually have an undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or higher.

Should I apply if I have not completed the necessary undergraduate prerequisite courses?

We recommend that you contact the graduate deputy (departmental faculty member) for advice.

Who makes the admission decision?

The academic departmental committee reviews applications and renders decisions.

Who can explain to me why I was denied?

To obtain feedback on your application, send a request in writing to the Office of Graduate Admissions.